When older adults and children come together and take part in community activities there are a multitude of benefits on both the individual and community level.
The possibilities for making intergenerational connections through community service are limitless. With the support of the Verizon Foundation and resources on Thinkfinity.org, this guide provides brief activity descriptions geared toward a broad range of ages. We encourage you to submit additional suggestions and to connect with other older adults in an online user group for grandparents and volunteers with similar interests.
Pre-k to Grade Two:
- Complete 100 acts of kindness from Martin Luther King Jr. Day & Valentine’s Day
- Learn about the goods and services provided by community helpers
Grades Three to Six:
Grades Six to Eight:
- Participate in service learning projects and activities
- Develop a plan for creating your own town
Grades Nine to Twelve:
- Imagine an education that required service learning for graduation
- Make a video public service announcement